Friday, August 19, 2005

Ecstasy and Altered States With Sufi Practices

My last post, "My Relationship With Sufism" really only covered the bare facts of how i was introduced to Sufism, and really only reflected my relationship with Musawwir. That's still a big part of my relationship to Sufism, but not all of what it encompasses.

Ecstasy in Sufism is fairly well known. The Whirling Dervishes achieve a level of ecstasy through their "turn". Many Sufis find ecstasy through doing their practices, or wazaifa. I find my ecstasy comes from practicing "reclining". This is a form of meditation, where i relax my body and loosen my mind (thoughts), and float. It can be better than an orgasm. In fact, can last a very long time. The state of relaxation allows me to feel rejuvenated and allows my mind a break. I've noticed, though, that if i indulge in that state for too much time, there are repercussions (i.e., someone usually gets miffed at me not spending enough time on my responsibilities, or something in the mundane world goes askew asking me to pay more attention to it.). Many Sufis just find ecstasy in their "remembrance", which is akin to thinking of the Beloved, or God, or whatever they perceive to be their ideal. Rumi, Kabir, Hafiz & Iraqi are wonderful ecstatic Sufi poets.

Reaching altered states of consciousness is de rigeur for Sufis. We actually practice consciously going into awarenesses other than our own. In my cherag training, we are asked to practice accessing the consciousness of Buddha, Christ, Mary, Abraham, the rishis (one of my favorites), and even Archangels. Whether you believe, or you don't, these consciousnesses exist on planes other than the ones we are usually accessing. I've had the experiences of reaching higher levels of conscioussness through dancing and chanting. Drumming seems to have that effect on some poeple. There are ways to access different levels of consciousness through conscious breathing, meditation, yoga, etc.

What i find myself doing, is accessing whatever energy wants to be expressed in that particular moment, if i am being asked to be a conduit for that energy and i choose to accept it into my being. I find i put myself into this position when i am asked to offer healing (reflexology/reiki/spiritual healing/sexual healing) to others. Many times, group work facilitates the request for me to be a conduit. Sometimes, just being with my guide offers me the opportunity to explore higher states. Sacred space, safety and non-judgment are essential qualities for this. I wish to express that altered states of consciousness DOES NOT necessarily mean higher levels of awareness. Especially when Clarity is at issue. An altered state of consciousness allows one to experience other-worldly places and things. It's expands one's experience to include other possibilities. A higher level of awareness has a clarity to it that allows one to view reality through a different lens. These words may not give an accurate description of what actually happens to you or me. It experiential. Each person's path is different. Each person's inner journey is different. As a person, i'm here to support fellow voyagers on the journey. There are similarities, especially is we read the same materials. It gives us a basic vocabulary and "baseline" understanding of those "consensus realities". Our individual perceptions of those realities are different based on our experiences and our lens. For example, i look at life through "rose colored glasses". I know that i am headed toward a more realistic lens, since i can now "see through" some people and things. Not always. I still have lessons to learn. The rose colored glasses are moving towards pink. It would probably be a shock to my system to go from rose colored to clear in one shot, but it probably happens to some people. I've diverged somewhat.

Sufis also talk about states and stations. States, are transitory, Stations (proximity to God, or perhaps The Truth) are more permanent. That's not to say they can't or won't change, but generally that's were you are. So, a person can reach a temporary State of consciousness which resembles a very high spiritual station. In actuality, it's temporary. But good, usually. Sometimes though, there are illnesses associated with going to these higher states without being prepared. Usually the body, mind and spirit should be clean or purified. For instance, fasting, abstaining from drugs, caffeine,alcohol and other altering substances will help one from falling prey to 'illnesses', like psychotic breaks, while traversing the upper realms of consciousness. Preparing the mind through prayer, meditation, and the like can also prepare one's body, mind and spirit. It has been my observation, through experience, that having a guide makes for a safer journey through the layers of consciousness.

2 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger RocketJam said...

A couple of years ago, an email list I monitored for a while had a participant who was into Sufism in a big way. He took classes in Dallas. One exersize he posted I found very useful. Look into the eyes of everyone you meet or interact with everyday. When you look into their eyes, see yourself looking back. Act accordingly.

I tried this for a couple of weeks. When I started, I was able to imagine this very intensely and found it a very effective exersize for changing the way I perceived a person.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger molly said...

Thanks for all your input, Rocketjam. I've tried certain exercises, but not this one. Cool. Also, i've looked at the book (nauromancer) on-line. i'm really not technical (high touch, not high tech) - but i'm getting better. don't have an mp3 yet. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home