Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Politically Incorrect

I was in the Candler Park Festival this past weekend. It was the most beautiful weather in Atlanta all year, it seemed. There were friendly people and some alternative ideas and pamphlets floating around. Several people stopped me to talk. I guess i seem approachable, or they are really good extroverts! Anyways, one guy was passing out flyers about keeping kids out of school on November 2 to rally against Bush.

I looked at the guy and told him that i was apolitical. I made a blanket statement and said that i think all politicians are creeps (that's not necessarily true personally...it's just that i don't like the thinking behind their platforms). Then, i tried to elaborate, and told him i was a creative anarchist. He told me he is a communist. I didn't flinch. Maybe he knew what a creative anarchist is. i have a vague idea of what a communist is. In theory, all of these words have a clearer meaning than putting them into practice in reality.

Thinking of that last sentence this morning prompted this blog. Theory versus reality. It's so interesting to me that so many of us continue to harbor beliefs that are black and white. Meaning, when political theories are brought into reality, they either don't hold or measure up. The variables in reality change constantly. My idea is that most theories don't have room for these variables. My perception is that theories don't reflect their basic premises when they get tried out in society - like communism, democracy or even capitalism. I was musing about whether the variable factor is that society - or humans as a collective - just aren't ready to practice theories like this yet. It involves altruism. My perception is that most humans don't know how to practice that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home