Thursday, May 21, 2009

Spiritual Song and Dance and Prayer

This coming Sunday I'm having people over (you're invited too) for a Universal Worship Service, Dances of Universal Peace and potluck cookout.

The theme for the UWS is Prayer, which is a subject near and dear. Hazrat Inayat Khan has written a lot about prayer, and I've yet to distill some of that information into the time allotted to a "sermon". My focus is going to be on the different types of prayer (asking for something for yourself, asking for something for others, thanksgiving/gratefulness, worship, devotion, etc.).

I've always seen Yoga as a form of body prayer, and most recently have been thoroughly enjoying a local Kirtan group, Bhakti Messenger, as a form of prayer and devotion.

The Dances of Universal Peace is basically dance, chanting/singing, and prayer all combined, and it never ceases to amaze me how much I can give and take during those moments of participation. The amount of healing that is available during prayer and body prayer seems limitless to me.

I'm grateful to have found these expressions of prayer in our community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home