Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mountains, Rocks & Indian Mounds

I had a busy day yesterday....
I took a "me" day and went on a big excursion.
First stop was the gas station to fill 'er up. Then, up I75 to Cartersville to the Weinman Mineral Museum, where there were having their annual Rock Fest. Now, when I told my kids i was going to the Rock Show, they thought i was going to hear some rock bands. Not so. Some of these rocks have bands, and the rock show was, as they would say, "tight".

It was so crowded inside the museum, i made a point to decide to come back another time for a deeper look. It was very nicely airconditioned, and outside was well, sweltering. I got a bit fried, as I didn't think to put on sunscreen before I left the house.

I met some friends there, and we had a really nice time - showing each other our finds, sharing information, and generally shopping for specimens. One of my friends found a wonderful carved dragon. Another friend found a fabulous rock at about 1/3 of the others, since it was "slightly damaged in shipping". We couldn't tell the difference! I found a beautiful piece of amethyst, with some calcite growing along inside it. I call the calcite angels when i see them in amethyst.

Although the boys weren't there - i wanted to get them gifts. For Max, we did a collectors box of history - some pieces are over 50 million years old! Shark's teeth, braciopods, all kinds of interesting pieces of things. Sam got a great piece of light amethyst crystals with two sea dragons inserted.

Then, wanted to stay up in the area some more, I took a little side trip by myself to the Etowah Indian mounds. They were having a special function there, and I was able to stay longer than usual. It was very interesting. I was able to climb the three largest mounds. They surmise that the largest two mounds were for ceremonial purposes, and the third mound was a burial mound.

Cartersville itself was quite picturesque, but not like the view from Darryl's place. Wow. After the Indian Mounds, my friend Darryl took me up to his place in the mountains. And we went up. I was afraid my little honda wouldn't make it - but it did in 2nd gear. His place is nestled on a ridge on a very steep part of the mountain. Out on the deck, and from part of the house, we could see so far. And deep, too, into the mountainside. Looking at those hills covered in trees was so beautiful. A piece of paradise.

Driving home, the full moon was a fabulous orb against the mountains. It was a magical day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home