Sunday, January 22, 2006

Dolphin Breathwork/Meditation

Yesterday's Dolphin Breathwork brought me into a very sweet space. I am grateful that i made it down to Decatur/Candler Park for the workshop. Although my sense of direction was off, i finally made it there after two phone calls. My friend, Ian, who was facilitating the workshop told me that half of the people who had signed up cancelled the hour before the workshop. I looked at him and told him i could understand why. My hunch was that these people started processing their emotions/stuff before the workshop and then felt horrible. That's essentially what i think happened to me. The friend who asked me to go with her to this backed out right before the workshop...but i've done just enough workshops to know that if i stuck with it, i would have the opportunity to move that energy through.

The Dolphins apparently use 100% of their lung capacity. The premise is that dolphins have emotions just like we do, but that they move through them quickly and move on. By using different types of breathing methods (i.e., circular breathing, belly breathing), the tool that was imparted was that if i was still enough, and remembered to breathe, i could essentially feel a vast range of emotions in each breath. By doing that, the premise is that we don't "get stuck" in any one emotion....like i was stuck in sadness yesterday (although i would cycle in and out of sadness, it wasn't always a quick cycle and release).

There were six participants (3 men and 3 women), a facilitator and two assistants. Everyone is encouraged to stay within their own process. Honoring one's own process and letting whatever come, come during the experience. There was quite a bit of coaching, and guided meditation - especially towards the end of the exercise. During the exercises, i reached points that i felt like i no longer wanted or needed to breathe. I'm mentioned this before in other posts. I made sure that i was present and conscious and mostly kept my eyes open during these times and was very aware. Perhaps it was just an interesting perception of time and i was breathing - just very slowly. during those periods, my body felt no pain or distress, and my mind was calm and clear. I was present to the assistants coaching me in recalibrating my breaths, which was helpful. i was very focused on my body and the intention to "play" and be present.

Overall, it was a very sweet experience - one i'd like to have again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home